More Than Ever, Today Matters to Everyone
Throughout scripture we are reminded that Today Matters. Paul challenges us to Awaken and act because today matters, to Abandon distractions and to Put On Christ. We have examples of prompt action, focus and acting Christlike throughout scripture.
In the Old Testament, Esther seized the day, took action for a higher purpose and saved her people. (Esther 4:13, 14) Nehemiah and his team of builders worked to successfully build the wall to protect Jerusalem with a sword in one hand and a brick in the other. (Nehemiah 4:16–23) David valued each day and helped others do the same. (Psalm 118:24) Joshua let us know that making today matter is a daily choice. (Joshua 24:14, 15).
Jesus, in the Sermon on the Mount, tells us to focus on today and first seek His Kingdom. Paul compared life to a race with front-sight focus on the finish line and gave us the example of throwing off any weight or distractions.
We can make every day matter if we make the following commitments Just for Today . . .
- I will choose and display the right attitudes. Philippians 2:3–8
- I will determine and act on important priorities. Ephesians 5:15–17
- I will learn and follow healthy guidelines. I Corinthians 6:19, 20
- I will communicate with and care for my family. I Timothy 5:8
- I will practice and develop good thinking. Proverbs 4:5–9
- I will make and keep proper commitments. Philippians 3:12–14
- I will earn and properly manage my finances. Ecclesiastes 5:10–20
- I will deepen and live out my faith. Colossians 2:6, 7
- I will initiate and invest in solid relationships. Colossians 3:12–24
- I will plan for and model generosity. Proverbs 11:24–28
- I will embrace and practice good values. Psalm 119:33–40
- I will seek and experience improvements. I Peter 2:1–3